There are many types of bicycle racks on the market. For example, if you have a receiver hitch on your vehicle and only have 2 bikes to transport, it would make sense you would want the best trailer hitch bike rack for 2 bikes. After all, racks made for 2 bikes tend to weigh and cost less than racks designed to hold more.
Having a bike rack means not storing those bikes in the vehicle’s cabin space and convenient accessibility.
There is a seemingly dizzying array of bike rack styles and a wide range of pricing options available. Unfortunately, choosing the wrong rack can be a safety hazard and can lead to scratches on your car or loss, theft, or damage to your bikes.
We reviewed the better trailer hitch bike rack brands, including Venzo, Allen Sports, KAC, Swagman, YAKIMA, CURT, MaxxHaul, and IKURAM.
Let’s dig in.
- 1 Top 9 Best Trailer Hitch Bike Rack For 2 Bikes Reviewed
- 1.1 1. Venzo 2 Bike Bicycle Platform Style Carrier
- 1.2 2. MAXXHAUL 50027 Hitch Mount Platform Style 2-Bike Rack
- 1.3 3. IKURAM 2 Bike Foldable Hitch Mount Rack
- 1.4 4. Allen Sports 2-Bike Hitch Racks for 1 1/4 in. and 2 in. Hitch
- 1.5 5. KAC E2 1.25″ and 2″ Hitch Receiver Mount Bike Rack Carrier 2-Bike
- 1.6 6. Swagman XC2 Hitch Mount 2-Bike Rack
- 1.7 7. Swagman CHINOOK Hitch Mount 2-Bike Rack
- 1.8 8. KAC Overdrive Sports K2 2” Hitch Mounted Rack 2-Bike Platform Style Carrier
- 1.9 9. Swagman XTC2 TILT Hitch Mount Bike Rack
- 2 Bike Hitch Rack Buying Guide: What You Need to Know
- 3 Benefits of Hitch-Mounted Bike Racks
- 4 Hitch Bike Carrier FAQ’S
Top 9 Best Trailer Hitch Bike Rack For 2 Bikes Reviewed
1. Venzo 2 Bike Bicycle Platform Style Carrier…click image to see more on Amazon Easier to put bicycles on than clamp holders and compatible with all kinds of bicycles. There’s an adjustable foam protector to prevent scratching or hitting. Arms could be folded for you to access the car rear boot or easy storage when not in use. TUV Test Standard Passed: With 1.5 times max load weight, no bending or cracks after testing. The rack passed the most strict tests, including driving, pulling, vibration, and swinging tests. It’s great for those on a budget.See more on Amazon…
2. MAXXHAUL 50027 Hitch Mount Platform Style 2-Bike Rack…click image to see more on Amazon Two foam-padded hooks to secure and stabilize bikes to the rack without scratching the bike’s finish. Hooks and tire cradles adjust to fit most bikes frames with 20 to 26 wheel sizes. The vertical post can be quickly removed for compact storage. It Fits Class III and IV standard 2 hitch receivers. 80 lbs Maximum Capacity or up to 40 lbs per bike.See more on Amazon…
3. IKURAM 2 Bike Foldable Hitch Mount Rack…click image to see more on Amazon All steel construction with protective powder paint finish. Dual-Arm Mounting Design. Convenient access to the rear of the vehicle with the easy-to-use tilt-down feature. Easy fold-down arms. Backed by IKURAM’s Lifetime warranty. All IKurAM bike carrier racks are backed by professional consulting services and a warranty. When the bike rack is not in use, it offers compact and easy storage. See more on Amazon…
4. Allen Sports 2-Bike Hitch Racks for 1 1/4 in. and 2 in. Hitch…click image to see more on Amazon For less than $150.00, it’s a bargain. Locking hitch insert fits either 1 1/4 inch or 2-inch receiver hitches. Arms fold out the way when not in use, and the rack tilts back when needed. Individual tie-downs secure and protect bicycles.See more on Amazon…
5. KAC E2 1.25″ and 2″ Hitch Receiver Mount Bike Rack Carrier 2-Bike…click image to see more on Amazon Unique compact folding design enables the rack to be folded up flush with the vehicle to save space when not in use. Manufactured with heavy-duty steel and finished with a durable powder coat, ensuring lasting performance. The Limited Lifetime warranty covers a wide variety of mishaps and performance guarantees.See more on Amazon…
6. Swagman XC2 Hitch Mount 2-Bike Rack…click image to see more on Amazon Swagman trailer hitch bike rack for 2 bike market. It only takes a few minutes to assemble, and the upright ratchet arms easily adjust to different bike frame sizes. The maximum weight capacity is 35Ibs per bike and fits 20 to 29 tire sizes. It can fit up to 29 tires and is compatible with 1-1/4 and 2 receiver Hitch. It can transport up to 2 bikes and has a built-in anti-wobble hitch device to keep bikes in place.See more on Amazon…
7. Swagman CHINOOK Hitch Mount 2-Bike Rack…click image to see more on Amazon It easily transports up to 2 bikes and is compatible with a Class 2 or higher, 1-1/4, and 2 hitch receiver. Fits most frame sizes, shapes, and style (fits 12 to 29 tire sizes) Maximum weight capacity of 45Ibs, per bike. Adjustable locking ratchet hooks are securing the frame to the rack. Locking Hitch Pin included. The Swagman trailer hitch bike rack for 2 bikes could run with the big boys.See more on Amazon…
8. KAC Overdrive Sports K2 2” Hitch Mounted Rack 2-Bike Platform Style Carrier…click image to see more on Amazon It keeps your bikes sturdy and safe with a patented Anti-Wobble System. Quick Release Tilt Design makes it easy to access rear cargo and fold up the bike rack when not used. Supports 2 bikes up to 60 lbs each using durable powder-coated steel tubing. The Limited Lifetime warranty covers a wide variety of mishaps and performance guarantees.See more on Amazon…
9. Swagman XTC2 TILT Hitch Mount Bike Rack…click image to see more on Amazon The XTC2 TILT hitch mount bike rack is lightweight and only takes a few minutes to assemble, following the instructions. It fits 1-1/4″ and 2″ hitch receiver class 2 or higher. Sturdy design with soft, frame-friendly grip arms hold the bike in place, so you have peace of mind knowing your bike will stay put. The bike rack tilts down to allow access to the rear of the vehicle effortlessly. A great solution for carrying 1 or 2 bikes with the secure mounting capabilities of a platform-style rack.See more on Amazon…
Bike Hitch Rack Buying Guide: What You Need to Know
Owning a bicycle can be liberating. You can pedal and ride your bike almost anywhere you want. But to go further, you need to find a way to transport your bike with your vehicle.
Hitch mounted bike racks make that possible, but there are many models on the market, and not all are the same. That said, if your vehicle is equipped with a tow hitch, or if you are considering installing one, a bike rack is the most straightforward, secure, and practical option.
What is a hitch bike rack?
If you’ve never purchased a bike rack before or are just beginning to research your options, it’s easy to feel overwhelmed. There are many different types of bike racks on the market, including roof-mounted bike racks, hitch-mounted bike racks, and even spare tire bike racks, to name a few. Each type of rack is different and has its advantages and disadvantages.
It is nothing more than a bike rack that attaches to the trailer hitch of your car. You remove the ball mount and secure the rack to the receiver. It is usually secured with a hitch pin and clip or hitch lock. Depending on the model you buy, the rack may be L-shaped or straight. Depending on the configuration and capacity, they can also hold two, three, or even four bikes.
Most of these bike racks come with straps with locking tabs that allow you to secure the bikes in place, as well as ones designed to support the frame of each cycle. Some use Velcro as well as tension tabs.
You will also find basic hitch bike racks and advanced hitch bike racks on the market. The more basic bike racks allow you to transport your bikes safely but may block access to your car’s tailgate or truck. More advanced and pricier models offer a swivel feature that will enable you to fold or lay the rack down to access the vehicle’s tailgate, trunk, or rear door.
So, now that you know what a hitch carrier is, why choose this style over another? Considering several types of trailer bike carriers on the market, what makes one better than the other?
Benefits of Hitch-Mounted Bike Racks
The best way to carry your bike is a tray-style, hitch-mounted bike rack on the back of your vehicle, truck, SUV, or van. Bike rack mounting systems are classified into four types: trunk mount, roof mount, hitch mount, and spare tire mount. Make sure to select the correct hitch receiver size and that your hitch can withstand the weight of all the bikes you intend to transport. Hitch racks make it easier than ever to transport your bike without having to wrestle it into the back of your car.
If you don’t have a hitch on your car, it’s worth installing one if you frequently transport bikes…especially heavier e-bikes. Hitch bike racks are a type of bike rack mounted to a vehicle’s hitch and used to transport bikes.
Sales of bicycles and bicycle accessories have increased. If you don’t have crossbars or a fitting trunk opening for mounting a bike rack, hitch bike racks are preferable over roof or trunk racks.
Trunk racks are frequently limited in their carrying capacity (usually two to three bikes), and once mounted, they obstruct trunk access. Tray racks do not come into contact with your bicycle’s frame; thus, they will not be scraped or rubbed bare. They also have more room between bikes, which makes it easier to transport larger bikes. Hitch racks are typically used to transport two to five bikes.
Hitch bike racks normally retain your bike’s frame by securing the top tube to two arms that protrude from the support beam, one of which you slot your fork into so your bike hangs vertically. We load bike racks with twice the specified maximum weight and simulate them traveling twice worldwide, complete with bumps, at the Thule Test CenterTM. Only if a hitch rack survives will it be suitable for you and your bikes.
Hitch Bike Carrier FAQ’S
Will my bike rack be stolen?
It’s possible, but it’s not common. Some come with security features such as locks, cables, brackets, and hooks.
How much weight can a hitch bike carrier carry?
This is especially popular for vehicles that already have a tow bar. An average hitch bike rack can hold 2-4 bikes and some can carry a maximum weight of over 100 pounds. Always consult the included instructions for details on your model.
Will the bike rack wobble?
Even the best-fitting bike rack may occasionally have a slight wobble/wobble when on the road, especially when fully loaded with all the bikes. The best solution is to get an anti-sway pin kit.
Can the bike rack be installed on any car?
For hitch-mounted bike racks, they are easy to install on most cars, trucks, and SUVs. So, can you attach a bike rack to any car? The answer is yes, as long as you buy the right type of product and follow the manufacturer’s instructions to fit it properly.
Can a bike rack be attached to any car?
The short answer to this question is: yes, it probably can. Almost any vehicle can tow a trailer. Even smaller vehicles can benefit from having a tow bar installed. In some cases, only very small trailers can be towed.
Can I open the trunk with a towbar bike carrier?
Towable bike carriers are easy to remove and provide easy access to the luggage compartment. Please note, however, that it is not necessary to disconnect the folded version. Even when folded, access to the luggage compartment is still possible.