If the clanking, rattling, hammering, or jarring action from a loose shank in your trailer hitch receiver is driving you crazy, then you will benefit from a hitch tightener. These are also commonly called hitch stabilizers, hitch anti-rattle clamps, and hitch silencers. It’s all the same, connect one of these devices on your hitch, and the rattling and banging are gone like magic.
These will outlast jury-rigged attempts using electrical tape or cardboard shims. Hitch tighteners are very affordable and can be one of the best accessories for towing that you ever invested in. Hitch stabilizers usually cost between $15 to $30, depending on the brand and design. For the price and what it offers, once you give it a try, you will kick yourself for not trying one sooner.
We review the better hitch tightener brands, including MaxxHaul, CZC AUTO, Rhino USA, LIBERRWAY, Mission Automotive, Dependable Direct, Let’s Go Aero, and Strailboard.
Please take a look at our top pick and get the best hitch tightener for your buck.
- 1 Top 10 Best Hitch Tighteners Reviewed
- 1.1 1. Rhino USA Hitch Tightener Anti-Rattle Clamp – Heavy Duty Steel Stabilizer for 1.25 and 2 inch Hitches – Protective Anti-Rust Coating Included on All Rhino Products.
- 1.2 2. LIBERRWAY Hitch Tightener for 1.25″ and 2″ Hitches 304 Stainless Steel Hitch Tightener Anti-Rattle Stabilizer Rust-Free Heavy Duty Lock Down Easy Installation Quiet
- 1.3 3. CZC AUTO Hitch Tightener Heavy Duty Anti-Rattle Stabilizer for 1.25″ and 2″ Hitches Reduce Movement from Hitch Tray Cargo Carrier Bike Rack Trailer Ball Mount Rust Free (1 Pack Carbon Steel)
- 1.4 4. CZC AUTO Hitch Tightener Heavy Duty Anti-Rattle Stabilizer for1.25 2 Inch Hitch Rubber Coated Lock Down Hitch Stabilizer Set with a Wrench for Hitch Tray Cargo Carrier Bike Rack Trailer Ball Mount
- 1.5 5. MAXXHAUL 50023 Tightener Anti Rattle Stabilizer for 1.25″ to 2″ Hitches
- 1.6 6. 3 Pack – 2 Inch Hitch Receiver Silencer Pad for Adjustable Ball Mounts – Reduce Rattle Eliminate Noise and Provide Cushion Between receivers and Tow hitches – Fits Any 2 inch Trailer Hitch Receiver
- 1.7 7. 1 Pack – Trailer Hitch Tightener – Anti-Rattle and Anti-Corrosion Rubber Coated – 1.25″ and 2″ Hitch Receiver
- 1.8 8. Let’s Go Aero (SHP2040-XL) Keyless Press-on Locking Silent Hitch Pin for 2.5in Hitches
- 1.9 9. Hitch Tightener for 1.25 Inch and 2 Inch Trailer Hitches Stainless Steel Hitch Tightener Anti Rattle Hitch Stabilizer U Clamps 2 Inch Hitch Stabilizer Reduces Noise and Swaying
- 1.10 10. Mission Automotive Hitch Tightener for 1.25″ and 2″ Hitches – Heavy-Duty Easy-Install No-Rust – Made in The USA
- 2 FAQ’s
Top 10 Best Hitch Tighteners Reviewed
1. Rhino USA Hitch Tightener Anti-Rattle Clamp – Heavy Duty Steel Stabilizer for 1.25 and 2 inch Hitches – Protective Anti-Rust Coating Included on All Rhino Products.…click image to see more on Amazon So which hitch tightener is best? That would be the Rhino USA. If you’re prepared to splurge and on a quest for a high-quality hitch tightener, then the Rhino USA Hitch Tightener Anti-Rattle Clamp is it. Rhino USA Hitch. Heavy Duty Steel Stabilizer for 1.25 and 2 inch Hitches. Protective Anti-Rust Coating Included on All Rhino Products. A great little hitch tightener at a fair price, plus they offer a Lifetime warranty on their products.See more on Amazon…
2. LIBERRWAY Hitch Tightener for 1.25″ and 2″ Hitches 304 Stainless Steel Hitch Tightener Anti-Rattle Stabilizer Rust-Free Heavy Duty Lock Down Easy Installation Quiet…click image to see more on Amazon For under $25.00, it’s a tough price and quality ratio to beat. This anti-rattle hitch tightener was designed to eliminate hitch noise, wobble, rattle, and hitch movement for cargo carriers, hitch receivers, trailer ball mounts, bike racks, and hitch racks, etc. Great ideal for hitches on trucks, SUVs, vans, RV’s, and trailers. The package includes a heavy-duty 304 stainless steel U-bolt, and a thick powder-coated plate will never rust. They offer a LIFETIME warranty, and they updated the nuts and fixed the issue with the nuts seizing.See more on Amazon…
3. CZC AUTO Hitch Tightener Heavy Duty Anti-Rattle Stabilizer for 1.25″ and 2″ Hitches Reduce Movement from Hitch Tray Cargo Carrier Bike Rack Trailer Ball Mount Rust Free (1 Pack Carbon Steel)…click image to see more on Amazon If you’re more concerned with saving a buck than with high-end, you can save with the CZC AUTO, our favorite inexpensive hitch tightener. Easy to install; after inserting the tube, lock them directly by U-bolt and plate, put on original spring washers, flat washers, and fasten by nuts. Suitable for trucks, SUVs, sedans, RVs, camper vans, and minivans.See more on Amazon…
4. CZC AUTO Hitch Tightener Heavy Duty Anti-Rattle Stabilizer for1.25 2 Inch Hitch Rubber Coated Lock Down Hitch Stabilizer Set with a Wrench for Hitch Tray Cargo Carrier Bike Rack Trailer Ball Mount…click image to see more on Amazon The CZC AUTO is one of the top-rated hitch tighteners on the market today. Firm and Solid with a Long Lifespan. CZC AUTO rubber-coated trailer hitch tightener equipped with φ0.4 inch U-bolt coated with orange rubber for better silencing. Zinc plated flat washers, spring washers, nuts, and 0.28-inch thick black powder coated plate are anti-corrosion. The tow clamp is perfect for locking 1-1/4 inch and 2-inch hitches. This hitch clamp is compatible with most hitch brands Reese Towpower, Maxxhaul, Connor, and hitches classes I, II, III, and IV. It’s suitable for trailer truck SUV sedan RV camper van and minivan. Reduce rattle and movement for hitch tray, cargo carrier, bike rack, trailer ball mount with brands Curt, Highland, Goplus, Pro Series, Rola, Yakima, and Thule.See more on Amazon…
5. MAXXHAUL 50023 Tightener Anti Rattle Stabilizer for 1.25″ to 2″ Hitches…click image to see more on Amazon If you’re open to settling for a decent hitch tightener to save a little cash, then take a look at the MaxxHaul. Heavy-duty steel plate with powder coat finish includes industrial grade U-Bolt, washer, and nut with a galvanized finish to resist rust and corrosion. Eliminate or reduce wobbling, rocking, rattling, and hitch play. Quickly installs on Class I, II, III, and IV or 1.25″ Or 2″ receiver hitches. Great to use on different tow and carry vehicles such as SUVs, Pickup trucks, RV’s, vans, sedans, minivans, campers, and more.See more on Amazon…
6. 3 Pack – 2 Inch Hitch Receiver Silencer Pad for Adjustable Ball Mounts – Reduce Rattle Eliminate Noise and Provide Cushion Between receivers and Tow hitches – Fits Any 2 inch Trailer Hitch Receiver…click image to see more on Amazon Mission Automotive offers one tough but quiet hitch tightened. Mission Automotive Silencer Pad cushion between the steel receiver and steel hitch to eliminate harmful and annoying road rattle. This top-notch product delivers exceptional quality and durability. The silencer pad is compatible with most trailer tow hitch or hitch ball carriers such as Reese, CURT, Anderson Hitches, Rugged Ridge, B&W, Draw-Tite, MaxxHaul, Connor, Weigh Safe, and Ram Mount. It is made from durable and rugged materials to ensure metal-to-metal grinding between tow ball and receiver is kept at a minimum.See more on Amazon…
7. 1 Pack – Trailer Hitch Tightener – Anti-Rattle and Anti-Corrosion Rubber Coated – 1.25″ and 2″ Hitch Receiver…click image to see more on Amazon Dependable Direct has to be mentioned when talking about hitch stabilizers. Durable and Heavy-Duty. The rubber-coated U-Bolt and .31 thick black powder-coated plate with an anti-rattling stabilizer enable this to withstand all weather conditions and loads. High-quality materials ensure a quiet and stable towing/hauling experience. Slip the U-bolt over the receiver, slide the tightener plate into the bolt, and tighten it into place with the included hardware.See more on Amazon…
8. Let’s Go Aero (SHP2040-XL) Keyless Press-on Locking Silent Hitch Pin for 2.5in Hitches…click image to see more on Amazon Let’s Go Aero is a lock that services as a hitch stabilizer. The 5/8 inch anti-rattle locking pin fits 2.5-inch hitch receivers with up to Class IV tow ratings (12,000 lbs max). Works with 2-inch Reducing Sleeves; requires a hollow shank tube receiver. Steel spring nut and enhanced corrosion-resistant, self-lubricating finish with chrome, zinc, and stainless steel components. Offers 90-degree press-on lock swivels for convenience, no fumble access in tight hitch spaces.See more on Amazon…
9. Hitch Tightener for 1.25 Inch and 2 Inch Trailer Hitches Stainless Steel Hitch Tightener Anti Rattle Hitch Stabilizer U Clamps 2 Inch Hitch Stabilizer Reduces Noise and Swaying…click image to see more on Amazon The reviews are strong regarding Strailboard. This hitch anti-rattle stabilizer helps to control sway and rattle. Works with hitch extenders, bike racks, cargo carriers, hitch haulers, and trailer ball mounts. Helps with Class I, II, III, or IV hitches that measure either 1.25-inch or 2-Inch.See more on Amazon…
10. Mission Automotive Hitch Tightener for 1.25″ and 2″ Hitches – Heavy-Duty Easy-Install No-Rust – Made in The USA…click image to see more on Amazon Mission Automotive’s powder-coated, heavy-duty galvanized steel means it will never rust. Perfect for various trailers, racks, and carriers, including car/auto, bike/bicycle, boat, motorcycle, cargo, luggage, dirt bike, platform, ATV, scooter, wheelchair, box, and basket carriers. It can be used with a standard ball tow hitch, hidden hitch, drop hitch, hitch extender, hitch adapters, weight distribution hitch, front hitches, and more. Compatible with various tow/carry vehicles, including trucks, SUVs, sedans, RVs, vans, campers, and minivans.See more on Amazon…
Why does my trailer hitch make noise?
Noise is completely normal from the trailer hitch when towing, but it doesn’t have to be. It’s often caused by play or small space gaps between the ball mount shank and the trailer hitch receiver hole. With the trailer disconnected, give the trailer ball a good shaking side-to-side and up-and-down. If it is loose and making noise, get a good hitch stabilizer clamp to eliminate that noise.
How do you tighten a loose hitch?
The best way to tighten a loose hitch is with a hitch tightener clamp. These devices are made specifically for tightening any accessory in a trailer hitch receiver. These include tow ball mounts, bike racks, cargo carriers, and more.
What is a hitch tightener?
A hitch tightener is a clamp that tightens around trailer hitch receivers to eliminate the play that causes rattling, wobbling, rocking, and other hitch movements. Hitch tighteners work on trailer ball mounts, cargo carriers, bike racks, or other hitch accessories.
How do you use a hitch silencer?
To use a hitch silencer, typically, you place a U-bolt over the hitch receiver, slide the holes in the tightener plate through the ends of the U-bolt, then tighten it into place with included hardware such as nuts and washers. Every model can be different. Always consult and follow the manufacturer’s installation instructions.
Don’t be intimidated. It is quick and easy.
Are bike racks supposed to wobble?
Bike racks are not built to wobble, but for hitch-mounted bike racks, it is normal. Your bike rack is likely made from various component pieces connected for folding, hinges for swinging away from the hatch on some models, or simply disassembling it for storage. Each connection unintentionally contributes to play or wobble. For hitch mount bike racks, most movement tends to be in the hitch itself. Therefore, a hitch tightener should help eliminate nearly all wobble.